Tuesday, January 24, 2012

More Gettin' Holtzy

Continuing in my efforts to use Tim Holtz's techniques, I used Ranger's Distresss Crackle Paint to make this flower pin. This was so so so so fun for me, because it was something so so so different from a card or tag. It took me a couple of tries to get used to how the crackle paint worked, but once I got it, I fell in L.O.V.E.!!!!

I actually saw this idea in a Splitcoast Stamper gallery last month, and am just sick because I can't find it now to give credit to the person I stole the idea from. But, the following are the directions that she gave: 

1) Cut the flower pieces out of heavy paper. (I used white chipboard and then attached a matching pieces of white cardstock to make it extra thick.)

2) Cover each piece with Glossy Accents and let it completely dry. Though I have no idea why, this step was extremely important. I tried to skip this step a few times, and the result was always completely different, and not nearly as pretty, as what you see above.

3) Cover each piece with Picket Fence Distress Crack Paint and let completely dry. This step took me a few tries to get a feel of how much paint was needed for just the right amount of crackle. In fact, if  you've never used CP before, I would suggest first purchasing two bottles, so you can play with a lot of it without worrying you'll run out. .

4) Sponge the Distress Ink of your choosing over the crackle paint, being sure to get it into the cracks. I actually had a hard time with this step because the ink just wasn't seeping into the cracks like I wanted. Finally, I found that if I spritzed some Perfect Pearls (Forever Violet) on the flower parts, then wiped it off, the PP stayed in, and therefore highlighted, the cracks. I'm sure there are more effective ways to do this, but that's whatworked for me.

At that point, I repeated the above to make the leaves, and a swirl, then assembled the flower by adding a button, a feather, and the pin attachment.



+

No comments:

Post a Comment